Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY E-ink displays
For years, I have been interested in e-ink technology. Its relative simplicity, energy efficiency and durability are honestly amazing. An example of this durability would be that I bought the Kobo Aura e-reader when it came out in 2013 and it currently actually works even better than it did back then because of software updates. For a sub-€100 device, that is beyond cool.

There are many people who create DIY devices using e-ink panels, making use of their unique properties to build devices that would otherwise not be possible. The main unique feature is that these panels only consume power when they are actually used, in other words when they are refreshed. Once you put something on the screen, it can keep displaying this indefinitely without consuming any power.
The main issue with these DIY projects as opposed to actual companies releasing a finished project, is that the refresh time on the screens sucks. But when you're using it for your daily calendar, or stuff like that, that's not an issue.

https://hackaday.io/project/169086-cale-...-wallpaper
The project above is what sparked this post. Someone made one of these displays, and made the device host a local web server through which he could update the display manually or configure the automatic (in his use case daily) updates.

Considering how energy-efficient these are, I'm considering purchasing a very high-resolution display like this:
https://www.waveshare.com/product/module...aper-d.htm
To essentially just put it on my night stand or on my desk for a basic weather forecast, calendar, and to give me whatever daily reminders I might need at that time.

What are you guys' opinions on this unique tech, do you see any cool use cases for it?
Interesting technology

Tons of business cases this could be very useful for. Personal use... it all depends on your routines and what could be useful.

Pretty cool though. I'd be curious to see just how much that added cost to the monthly power bill would be. Running 5V, I'd bet not much. You could run the screen with a battery. I love how far we've come with things like this.
I first seen this technology when they were used for the original Kindle readers. I didn't realie they were even still around. Interesting that it only uses power when changing the display. As for uses I can't of anything off hand but I am sure it could be quite useful for anything that doesn't need to be changed too often.
(12-29-2019, 12:37 PM)Aeowulf Wrote: Interesting technology

Tons of business cases this could be very useful for. Personal use... it all depends on your routines and what could be useful.

Pretty cool though. I'd be curious to see just how much that added cost to the monthly power bill would be. Running 5V, I'd bet not much. You could run the screen with a battery. I love how far we've come with things like this.

Added cost to the power bill is basically negligible.
(12-29-2019, 01:54 PM)0l1v14 Wrote: Added cost to the power bill is basically negligible.

I know, but I'm a statistic nerd. I want numbers! Tongue
as someone who has a pebble smart watch which uses a color E-ink display.

I can say that they are super nice, provided you're ok with the refresh rates.

my watch goes 5 days on a charge btw Tongue

now if we could just combine this with bi-carbon batteries... my watch's charge would be in the century or so department lol.