Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypokalemia
How was your day? How is everybody doing?

Have you been in a situation that you have experience Hypokalemia?

In hypokalemia, the level of potassium in blood is too low. 

A low potassium level has many causes but usually results from vomiting, diarrhea, adrenal gland disorders, or use of diuretics. 

A low potassium level can make muscles feel weak, cramp, twitch, or even become paralyzed, and abnormal heart rhythms may develop.

Recently I have these symptoms and now advice to take rest and take Multivatimins and B-complex as well to take fruits and vegetables rich in potassium.
I haven't personally been in this position, but I've seen someone who was: my father. We were on our way to another doctor appointment when he got a call to let him know he was being prescribed a potassium supplement powder because his levels were dangerously low when he got some blood-work that day for his rheumatologist (he has severe psoriatic arthritis). It was scary to hear he needed it, but he was showing no symptoms is the weird part...
Oh, wow. Haven't seen that one before. Hope you get it all taken care of! Doesn't sound fun.
(03-08-2020, 12:25 PM)Aeowulf Wrote: Oh, wow. Haven't seen that one before. Hope you get it all taken care of! Doesn't sound fun.

Yeah, the doctor give me a medicines and multivitamins and requires me fruits and vegetables rich with potassium and take a lot of rest. But how can I rest when I needed to work for my family and this Corona virus is spreading rampantly.

Panic buying is everywhere. Stressful days are always around...I guess I gotta hold on and be strong.

(03-08-2020, 06:33 AM)Juneberry Wrote: I haven't personally been in this position, but I've seen someone who was: my father. We were on our way to another doctor appointment when he got a call to let him know he was being prescribed a potassium supplement powder because his levels were dangerously low when he got some blood-work that day for his rheumatologist (he has severe psoriatic arthritis). It was scary to hear he needed it, but he was showing no symptoms is the weird part...

How was your father? Hoping he's doing great now.
I feel really numb on my hands and my legs feels the same way too and I feel like vomiting and my back going to my neck is really stiff and I really feel the pain.
Glad that today I am starting to feel better.
My father felt pretty normal when he was diagnosed and given that powder- but to be fair, my father has a record for the highest blood ammonia in my state while conscious, and was told he should've been dying in a coma with that level. So the fact he didn't even realize something was wrong outside the usual isn't that surprising.

He's doing better overall, though his sleep schedule sucks and his psoriasis and arthritis are steadily getting worse. He's getting some cardiac tests done tomorrow to see if he has the family heart condition me and my uncle have. ^^;
(03-09-2020, 11:50 AM)Juneberry Wrote: My father felt pretty normal when he was diagnosed and given that powder- but to be fair, my father has a record for the highest blood ammonia in my state while conscious, and was told he should've been dying in a coma with that level. So the fact he didn't even realize something was wrong outside the usual isn't that surprising.

He's doing better overall, though his sleep schedule sucks and his psoriasis and arthritis are steadily getting worse. He's getting some cardiac tests done tomorrow to see if he has the family heart condition me and my uncle have. ^^;

How old is your father if I may ask dear?

I have already undergone ECG then after few days with 2D Echo tests and luckily there's no threat with my heart.

I guess sleeping problems is just part of being old...my aunt and my dad went to that kind of situation that they have to drink some sleeping pills for them to have a wonderful rest at night.

Praying that your father will feel better and at ease after the check up and the results will be good to give him more peace of mind.
My father is 58- I don't mind sharing it. It helps remind me how old I am anyway, since we're almost exactly 30 years apart (I turn 28 this month, he turned 58 last month). Unfortunately he missed his tests today, so they have to be rescheduled again. And sleep problems aren't just for older people! I have a hard time sleeping well myself. Though part of that is my other health conditions, like fibromyalgia.
(03-10-2020, 09:23 AM)Juneberry Wrote: My father is 58- I don't mind sharing it. It helps remind me how old I am anyway, since we're almost exactly 30 years apart (I turn 28 this month, he turned 58 last month). Unfortunately he missed his tests today, so they have to be rescheduled again. And sleep problems aren't just for older people! I have a hard time sleeping well myself. Though part of that is my other health conditions, like fibromyalgia.

How was your father doing? Sorry got some important matters lately.
Does your father already done with his tests? What's the result?
We are on a community lockdown as of yesterday here in our country.
What's the current situation in your place?