Aeowulf
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why not go with ad-supported hosting?
Well, some people are annoyed by ads.  However, though, the trade-off is fast hosting - maybe on par with really good shared hosting.  Well, is it faster?  I don't think it's as fast as a VPS or dedicated server.  I mean, that would be too tough for a hosting company to provide - in exchange for ads.

Anyway, myself, I don't like ads on my forums - even though, maybe my users don't care.  

Some ad-supported hosting:

• ProBoards

• JCink.net

Anyway, some of these companies have been bought out - like ZetaBoards.  Why do you all feel this happened?
I've been a member on several forums that used Zetaboards and ProBoards and they sucked IMO. Awful templates, and sometimes the links I clicked would go to spam sites even tho it was an internal link. Just garbage. I don't run ads and thankfully can afford a decent host.
My Youtube ~ Personal Vlog & Random Musings
The real problem with these services isn't the fact that they are ad supported. They have servers that can handle it. A typical shared hosting server can host thousands of websites. Forums are usually pretty lightweight.

But they lock you in. I found this out the hard way with Forumotion many, many years back. I didn't start the forum but took it over a couple years later after the founder retired.

We used a crawler script to get off of forumotion (a legal gray area). This generally works okay on FM, but on Proboards, you could very easily get sued. You are quite literally stuck on their service. I simply don't think this is good, ethical practice. Technically it's their right to do so, but it's very restrictive to administrators that might very well outgrow the software.

I simply don't recommend it for that reason. Luckily, there are a few hosts that will export the database for a fee. They are rare, but they do exist, and those services are usually okay. Outside of that, I simply strongly advise everyone against them. It's extremely frustrating once a forum outgrows its software and cannot move off.
(04-24-2020, 05:48 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: The real problem with these services isn't the fact that they are ad supported. They have servers that can handle it. A typical shared hosting server can host thousands of websites. Forums are usually pretty lightweight.

But they lock you in. I found this out the hard way with Forumotion many, many years back. I didn't start the forum but took it over a couple years later after the founder retired.

We used a crawler script to get off of forumotion (a legal gray area). This generally works okay on FM, but on Proboards, you could very easily get sued. You are quite literally stuck on their service. I simply don't think this is good, ethical practice. Technically it's their right to do so, but it's very restrictive to administrators that might very well outgrow the software.

I simply don't recommend it for that reason. Luckily, there are a few hosts that will export the database for a fee. They are rare, but they do exist, and those services are usually okay. Outside of that, I simply strongly advise everyone against them. It's extremely frustrating once a forum outgrows its software and cannot move off.

Agreed.  I used ProBoards way back in like 2000, and it was shit then too.  I quickly moved to a self hosted solution and never looked back.
I never really started ad-based forum hosting, I've always had my own webhosting account and purchased vbulletin software. I provide free hosting to my clients on an useless-to-requirements server, but i'd not dream of limiting them to just forum access.
When there are decent free hosting options, I don't really see the point of going with ad-supported hosting since it will just annoy your users. Of course, it's always better to just go with paid hosting rather than choosing either of them
[Image: 15.gif]
I dislike ad supported sites/forums. I removed the ads from all my sites and made everything free. You can of course buy "Premium" and get certain perks, but it's entirely optional.