Aeowulf
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admins Engagements?
How much do you feel an admin should be engaged in the community? Do you think he/she should be active in all the conversations, or do you think the admin should focus on the forum's admin work vs. being engaged in the community. Example, Post less, update more, or post more, update less?
[Image: Gptleader-468-2.gif]
I think by being engaged and active in the forum the admin will then know what changes/updates need to be made.
Martin Evans, post: 80, member: 14 Wrote:I think by being engaged and active in the forum the admin will then know what changes/updates need to be made.
I completely agree with this!
[Image: dASGhPU.png]
I've always followed with the rule of if you're not posting and being apart of your creation, why should anyone else?
The person above me likes to eat soup with a fork... true story.
The admin has to be active and constantly posting on the forums so the members know the site is not going to die and they know the admin is determined in their position. If the admin isn't posting, why should anyone else post?
Martin Evans, post: 80, member: 14 Wrote:I think by being engaged and active in the forum the admin will then know what changes/updates need to be made.
This is exactly it. I've seen a forum be run by an absentee admin, and the site's morale went way down the toilet. It suffered from mod/admin abuse. There was even an exploit that allowed one of the mods becoming an admin without the owner's consent. I kept pressuring the owner to sell it to me for YEARS. He did it, and I bought it. I cleaned it up, by initially upgrading the site, and I discovered that it was a nulled xenforo license. WTF.

I was able to fix it, but I couldn't use the same exact database, because of the lingering exploit. I refreshed the database without retaining the content ids because every time I do, it shows the owner's admin account. Like, I thought I have to log in via that admin account, and not my own. I later discovered I didn't via a different site I acquired. I really wish I knew because I could still maintain the traffic.

It's too late though, what's done is done.

That is one mistake I will look back on it and regret it.

I was always planning to move the site to a new domain, but I really should've kept the content id the same.
The admin definitely needs to be active on a forum or site. If the admin is absent, what's the point of joining or supporting that site/forum if it's just set up and left to rot?
[Image: smokeysig.png]