Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Researchers trying to determine why glacier on Antarctica is melting so fast
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/d...so-quickly

Apparently there's a glacier on Antarctica that is melting at a very fast pace. The particular glacier the article is about, by itself, is responsible for 4% of the global rise of the sea level.

They're essentially going to drill a 30cm wide hole through the glacier to send in a small submarine, hoping to discover more about what exactly is happening and what (apart from global warming) is causing it.
Always worrisome...

The one thing that I never get with these though: Hey, this glacier is melting, let's fuck with it and help it melt faster.

I know that's not the intent, but they're creating more surface area. Just saying. I think we know why its melting. Leave it alone!
(12-29-2019, 11:13 PM)Aeowulf Wrote: Always worrisome...

The one thing that I never get with these though: Hey, this glacier is melting, let's fuck with it and help it melt faster.

I know that's not the intent, but they're creating more surface area. Just saying. I think we know why its melting. Leave it alone!

The section they're drilling into is still cold enough that if they're not fast and careful enough it'll actually freeze back over before they've lowered their submarine thing in there.